Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rainbow Bridge



A short time after this picture was taken I had to make the gut wrenching decision to let my little girl go. She had a mass in her belly that was causing her a great deal of pain and discomfort. There were other factors that led to the decision but none that made it any easier. I thought that I had plenty of time left with her, time to do the little things that always get put off for another day. Now those opportunities have passed and I'm left with regret the sadness of stories unfinished.


Abigail was a wonderful companion, willing to go anywhere and do anything. Always there with a smile and a willingness to put up with what ever I threw at her. I loved to come home from work, let her stand in my lap and tell her what my day was like. I would then ask her how her day went and she would surely let me know, Aaarrrooooo!! She was such a bad dog when I first rescued her but wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything. She brought smiles to the faces of everyone she met. One look at that goofy smile, soulfull eyes and droopy ears and you were hers.


She was a quirky dog but there were some things you could always count on with her and number one on that list would be her love of food. Her passion for kibble was the reason I found out about the mass in her tummy. I have no idea how long it was there, but by the time that it got to the point that she no longer wanted to eat or even show interest in food, it was to late.


Now my girl is at the Rainbow Bridge, where she can eat until she is content, lay in a sunbeam and sniff the wind. Snuggle with her cow and play in the grass. Roll in dead things and chase butterflies and lizards. Her friends are there, Mopsey, Bigman, Indy. And Rowdy is there too, he'll show her around the place I'm sure of it. She'll wait for me, to greet me with her usual enthusiasm and I'll have a cookie in my pocket for her.


Momma misses you Abigail!

No comments: