Monday, July 20, 2015

Macaroni & Cheese

    I admit, sometimes I like macaroni and cheese!! What red blooded American doesn't right? But the classic Kraft stuff in a box that we all ate as kids is, well, basically it sucks. It was OK when we were kids, but as adults? I'd to think my tastes have become more refined and even though I still like Mac&Cheese from time to time, Kraft's blue box just doesn't cut it any longer.
As a single person, making real M&C from scratch is a big pain in the behind and simply not worth the effort. Stouffer's makes a great Mac&Cheese and that's what I usually buy when I have the craving. To be honest, it's also better than anything I could make from scratch.

    The last time I went grocery shopping I had a coupon for the Deluxe Kraft M&C and it was on sale so I thought I'd give it a go. For those unfamiliar with the differences between the classic blue box and the "deluxe", the noodles are true elbow macaroni and a better quality, they're still nothing compared to real fresh pasta but better than the original. Also, the cheese isn't a powder, instead the cheese is in a pouch ready to be squeezed over your cooked noodles. Still not the real thing, but better than a powder.
I had several flavor options to try and decided to give the "sharp" cheddar flavor a go, assuming it would probably have a stronger cheesy flavor too it. :( Sadly, it did not. What I wound up with was a bowl of golden yellow noodles covered in flavorless goo. Scratch that, flavorless is an over exaggeration, I actually mean no flavor. The word bland does not even cover the amount of flavor in this M&C!! I even tried a little salt, hoping that it might bring out some of that "cheddar" flavor but all I got for the trouble was a bowl of noodles covered in salty golden yellow goo.

    Where was my Cheddar? Where was the "Sharp" What happened to the flavor? Is it me? I know that as I've gotten older my taste buds have changed. It happens to us all as we get "on in years". But this was just beyond that. I know it's not me, I had a few slices of actual cheddar cheese, sliced from a block, with slices of apple for a snack earlier in the day, so I know for a fact that I haven't lost my sense of taste yet.
    No more Kraft for me, back to Stouffers. I went to the Kraft website and left a complaint, then went to Stouffers and thanked them for the best M&C on the planet! I believe in giving a company feedback. They need to know when they've let consumers down just as much as they need to know when they get it right. 
In this modern age of technology, it's easy and simple to let your feelings be known and give your feedback to these companies. I wish more people would do it.



No comments: